The Dust ForumsHere you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferencesRegistration is free!CalendarFind other membersFrequently Asked QuestionsSearchHome  
The Dust Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 The Dust Forums > Chris Whitley Tunings > Are covers ok??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dashiell
Dust Radio

Are covers ok??

I'm not sure about the ethics of playing covers of Chris Whitley music. This is probably a really stupid question....but is it ok?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2006 05:01 AM
Dashiell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dashiell Click here to Send Dashiell a Private Message Visit Dashiell's homepage! Find more posts by Dashiell Add Dashiell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shai
Dust Radio

CW COVERS

The question is not an ethical one my friend, the real criteria is whether you can pull it off! If you do it in your own voice, arrange it in your style, i think it's pretty cool & respectful. He was a mean guitarist, but could convey something much more than a musical idea to an audience. That's the unrecoverable part. If you've ever tried to play a CW tune, listened a little closer to the nuance of his style, you soon realize what an unimitable genius he really was. We all tried to channel the spirit of hendrix in our teens, hoping he would possess our digits from beyond the grave! It's quite natural to idolize & imitate such an amazing phenomenon. Moreover Chris inspires us to do our own thing, irrespective of what the mainstream is doing.

Anyway I'd like to hear your CW cover one day.

Mitch

Old Post 09-02-2006 01:46 AM
Shai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shai Click here to Send Shai a Private Message Visit Shai's homepage! Find more posts by Shai Add Shai to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jipes
Living With The Law

Well imho covers are OK because they have at least the advantage to make the artists more accessible to everyone I mean the people who occasionally goes to concerts. At least it's the case here in France Chris is unfortunately not as well known as his talent deserves to be. If ever I'm able to drive the attention of one of my listener to the original artist that I covered than I think my job is at least partially done.

As long as you stay truthfull to the artist spirit that's sounds good to me.

To be able to duplicate what Chris or other great artist are doing this is another type of challenge (impossible I would say).

When I'm doing a cover (Ry Cooder or Buddy Guy) I perfectly know that I'm at thousand miles of their talent but that doesn't stop from doing it for my pleasure and often to the one of the audience.

Jipes

Old Post 09-18-2006 02:13 PM
jipes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jipes Click here to Send jipes a Private Message Visit jipes's homepage! Find more posts by jipes Add jipes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbydevito
Living With The Law

covering CW.....

i've never felt like it was "wrong" to cover any artist. ESPECIALLY when it's an artist like chris. most of the covers i do are from rather "obscure" artists...i DO feel that you have an ethical obligation to let the audience know who wrote the song. i will announce before or after the song that it's a chris whitley song. hopefully over the years i have turned a few people on to CW's music, the same way I have with other artists that I love, like Freedy Johnston or Steve Earle or Jeff Buckley.

today i played my duolian in washington square park, NYC, on a beautiful fall day. I played about a dozen CW songs, and by the time i stopped playing, quite a few people were hanging out and listening. we all then chatted for a while, and many of those people that were there today remeber chris, and seeing him in the city back in the early 90s.

we should all keep CW's music alive. i will play some of his songs until i die.

Old Post 11-12-2006 03:57 AM
bobbydevito is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbydevito Click here to Send bobbydevito a Private Message Visit bobbydevito's homepage! Find more posts by bobbydevito Add bobbydevito to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jipes
Living With The Law

By the way Bobby there's seems to be a slight problem with your website I cannot connect to it !

is it the right link ?

Jipes

Old Post 11-12-2006 06:39 PM
jipes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jipes Click here to Send jipes a Private Message Visit jipes's homepage! Find more posts by jipes Add jipes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbydevito
Living With The Law

sorry about that...my own URL has lapsed into obscurity. i am going to post a myspace page with a few tracks on it soon. in fact, i may do some recording this weekend with a very special member of this board....we'll see! let's just say i am heading to jersey.....

my ambient music page is:

www.magnatune.com/artists/stargarden

thanks for asking!

Old Post 11-14-2006 04:22 PM
bobbydevito is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbydevito Click here to Send bobbydevito a Private Message Visit bobbydevito's homepage! Find more posts by bobbydevito Add bobbydevito to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbydevito
Living With The Law

speaking of covers....

now that we have the advent of youtube (and i encourage ALL of you to do a search for CW on there, plenty of cool stuff has been posted), I am going to post some video of some CW covers.

Gonna be recording next month at some live gigs in Key West. I had to take a little time off from doing live gigs, I just got burnt out.

But I have recharged my batteries, and also finally got a Style O....so it's time to get back out and make some noise.

Hope you all are well...

bobby d

Old Post 10-01-2007 02:29 AM
jipes
Living With The Law

Re: speaking of covers....

quote:
Originally posted by bobbydevito
now that we have the advent of youtube (and i encourage ALL of you to do a search for CW on there, plenty of cool stuff has been posted), I am going to post some video of some CW covers.

Gonna be recording next month at some live gigs in Key West. I had to take a little time off from doing live gigs, I just got burnt out.

But I have recharged my batteries, and also finally got a Style O....so it's time to get back out and make some noise.

Hope you all are well...

bobby d

Will be great to hear your covers of Chris music, let us know when you hace upload them

Jipes

Old Post 10-01-2007 08:31 AM
inflateablesoul
Long Way Around

Thumbs up google video too

You tube has most of em so does google video...
As soon as I can get my hands on a camera to do it with I'll be on there doing my own covers of Guns and dolls andscrapyard lullaby i think... unless i can figure out a few more.
I loved the couple covers ive seen there so far.
Way to go guys.
Great covers.

And God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth,..." - Genesis 1:29 KJV
Thats Inflateablesoulmate for those who've not heard the name yet.
Lonlier than God.

Old Post 10-01-2007 01:08 PM
inflateablesoul is offline Click Here to See the Profile for inflateablesoul Click here to Send inflateablesoul a Private Message Find more posts by inflateablesoul Add inflateablesoul to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote