The Dust ForumsHere you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferencesRegistration is free!CalendarFind other membersFrequently Asked QuestionsSearchHome  
The Dust Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 The Dust Forums > Gear Talk > Recording Tips fro Reso Players?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
s.a.m.
Long Way Around

Recording Tips fro Reso Players?

Hi -

I'm in the middle of recording songs for a CD release and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for recording resonators?
(Nat'l Steel & a Nat'l wood bodied Estralita)

I've gotten decent sounds using a stereo pair of mics -
the same way you'd record a standard acoustic guitar
but I was wondering if anyone has stumbled on a better way.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sammo

www.myspace.com/livesammo
www.livesammo.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-04-2007 04:19 PM
s.a.m. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s.a.m. Click here to Send s.a.m. a Private Message Visit s.a.m.'s homepage! Find more posts by s.a.m. Add s.a.m. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nathan
Long Way Around

Chris used a ribbon mic to great effect...i think to main thing to remember is to mic the cone and mic the f-hole, as the sound coming from those sources is so radically different; then you can blend the two when mixing.

Old Post 02-05-2007 02:48 AM
nathan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nathan Click here to Send nathan a Private Message Find more posts by nathan Add nathan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jipes
Living With The Law

I usually take the sweet spot of the guitar around the 14th fret with a tube mic (TBone SCT 2000) and that sounds quite good be careful with the extra low bass resonance that happens sometimes specially if you use a lot slappin the bass strings.

You can hear two or three songs here
http://www.mojo.fr/extra.html

Jipes

Old Post 02-05-2007 03:32 PM
jipes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jipes Click here to Send jipes a Private Message Visit jipes's homepage! Find more posts by jipes Add jipes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chad
Living With The Law

I once resorded a cheap Regal steel-bodied reso the traditional ways, with little luck.

I found the overtones were the only things captured by the equally inexpensive mic I was using, so I took the coverplate off my steel, and re-recorded the track.

The result was a much brighter sound than I anticipated;

I didn't think the reso sounded too good in the room, almost too bright and aggressive; I was going for a smoother, more mellow sound.

However, on the recording it sounded great. Far more mellow-yet-defined than I could achieve normally.

- Salman Rushdie

Old Post 02-05-2007 09:05 PM
chad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chad Click here to Send chad a Private Message Find more posts by chad Add chad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote