The Dust ForumsHere you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferencesRegistration is free!CalendarFind other membersFrequently Asked QuestionsSearchHome  
The Dust Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 The Dust Forums > Main Talk Forum > Chris Whitley Tribute III
Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan Whitley
Hello, my name is.....

Here is the poster with a lot of the info on it, we will post new stuff as it comes avail, sorry for the delay evabody

Dan Whitley has attached this image:

The Dan Whitley Band on AIC
D.W.B. on myspace

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-2008 07:52 PM
Dan Whitley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Whitley Click here to Send Dan Whitley a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Whitley Add Dan Whitley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric_Gale
Living With The Law

Hey,

Which hotels/B&Bs are closest to the show site and the train station?

Thanks!
Eric

Old Post 03-23-2008 03:27 AM
Eric_Gale is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_Gale Click here to Send Eric_Gale a Private Message Find more posts by Eric_Gale Add Eric_Gale to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric_Gale
Living With The Law

Also, will anything be happening on Sunday night?

I am trying to plan how many nights to be in town, if I can make this happen.

I need to get the days off at work, get a plane ticket to Boston on Thursday after work, get the late bus to Bellows Falls, so that I am in town on Friday.

Thanks,
Eric

Old Post 03-23-2008 03:39 AM
Eric_Gale is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_Gale Click here to Send Eric_Gale a Private Message Find more posts by Eric_Gale Add Eric_Gale to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPeters
Dust Sister7

Alejandro talks about Chris

Here's an excerpt from an interview I just completed with Alejandro Escovedo:

JP: You’ll be performing at the upcoming Chris Whitley celebration in Bellows Falls on April 26th. What will that experience be like for you?

AE: I’m happy to be part of this and have a chance to pay homage to a great artist. I wasn’t able to take part in the Texas tributes.

JP: You were still recovering, right?

AE: Yeah, I wasn’t at my best. It always feels good to help raise consciousness about someone who was so talented and maybe under appreciated by the masses.

JP: What do you think it is about Chris that makes him such a “musicians’ musician”?

AE: People who have all those things…a great guitar player, a great singer, a great songwriter, a very soulful person. He was unafraid to lay it all on the line; to take a lot of chances. Those are rare people. As musicians, some guys might be a great guitar player but very rarely do you find someone with those all those elements. And he did. Austin being a town in which the guy behind the bar plays guitar better than most guys on stage [laughs], everyone is very appreciative of someone who really has got it together.

Talk about intimacy…Chris' songs were so intimate and deep in his psyche, it went beyond him. It became part of the cosmos. It connected in such a large way. When you talk about how intimate his stuff was, it almost seems it was unapproachable by other people. When I connect as a performer…when suddenly everything melts into one…that moment on stage when you can feel the breath of the words you are singing, it’s like nirvana. You know everyone in that room is locked into that same moment. It lifts everyone to a place they hadn’t been prior to walking in that door. That’s what Chris had.

Old Post 03-26-2008 03:35 AM
JPeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JPeters Click here to Send JPeters a Private Message Find more posts by JPeters Add JPeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Whitley
Hello, my name is.....

Re: Alejandro talks about Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Eric_Gale
Also, will anything be happening on Sunday night?

I am trying to plan how many nights to be in town, if I can make this happen.

I need to get the days off at work, get a plane ticket to Boston on Thursday after work, get the late bus to Bellows Falls, so that I am in town on Friday.

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Eric,
I dont believe anything is happening sunday, good luck
with everything man, hope we see ya!

Joyce, thanks for posting, cant wait to
see Alejandro's set!

quote:
Originally posted by JPeters
Here's an excerpt from an interview I just completed with Alejandro Escovedo:

JP: You’ll be performing at the upcoming Chris Whitley celebration in Bellows Falls on April 26th. What will that experience be like for you?

AE: I’m happy to be part of this and have a chance to pay homage to a great artist. I wasn’t able to take part in the Texas tributes.

JP: You were still recovering, right?

AE: Yeah, I wasn’t at my best. It always feels good to help raise consciousness about someone who was so talented and maybe under appreciated by the masses.

JP: What do you think it is about Chris that makes him such a “musicians’ musician”?

AE: People who have all those things…a great guitar player, a great singer, a great songwriter, a very soulful person. He was unafraid to lay it all on the line; to take a lot of chances. Those are rare people. As musicians, some guys might be a great guitar player but very rarely do you find someone with those all those elements. And he did. Austin being a town in which the guy behind the bar plays guitar better than most guys on stage [laughs], everyone is very appreciative of someone who really has got it together.

Talk about intimacy…Chris' songs were so intimate and deep in his psyche, it went beyond him. It became part of the cosmos. It connected in such a large way. When you talk about how intimate his stuff was, it almost seems it was unapproachable by other people. When I connect as a performer…when suddenly everything melts into one…that moment on stage when you can feel the breath of the words you are singing, it’s like nirvana. You know everyone in that room is locked into that same moment. It lifts everyone to a place they hadn’t been prior to walking in that door. That’s what Chris had.

The Dan Whitley Band on AIC
D.W.B. on myspace

Old Post 03-26-2008 11:58 AM
Dan Whitley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Whitley Click here to Send Dan Whitley a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Whitley Add Dan Whitley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPeters
Dust Sister7

Vernon Reid talks about Chris

Here is an excerpt from my recent interview with Vernon Reid, one of the special guests at the 4/26 celebration in Bellows Falls:

JP: You performed at the Austin tribute for Chris Whitley in 2006. How did that night feel for you?

VR: That night in Austin was really special. There were a lot of wonderful artists...Eric Johnson, and others. It was really special to be on stage with Chris’ brother, Dan, and DJ Logic. Chris is an artist who straddled a lot of different worlds. He meant a lot to a lot of people. He transcended the roots-rock label...he was a very experimental person. He wouldn’t stay put long in one genre or one place. It made it difficult for him to have a certain kind of commercial career. He was a relentless seeker. "Living with the Law" was a very popular record. Compared to "Din of Ecstacy," it was a complete 180. They are some of my favorites and they are so different from one another. Din was more like a My Bloody Valentine record...almost a post-punk record. He took it to the edge. That’s what I loved about him. Compare that to "Dirt Floor," a record my friend Craig Street produced. That’s one of my favorite songs and records. Chris cut something really deep in much the same way Jeff Buckley touched something deep. Chris was such a unique, lovely, and powerful character. There are people that you love instantly and they are there in your heart.

I hope more people really appreciate him for his uniqueness and his powerful work. I go back and listen to it and I’m just stunned. He got right to the heart of things...the inexpressible heart of things. But like with Al Greene, you don’t have to get all the words; you get the feeling in waves. Chris gave you waves of feeling. He was a one man wall of sound with a wall of volume with his dobro. He burned the walls up.

There were so many kinds of people who were moved by what this man represents: the rugged individual who is going his own way, the anti-hero. He was the real thing. Chris was as real as Johnny Cash was real to me.

Last edited by JPeters on 03-28-2008 at 07:43 PM

Old Post 03-28-2008 07:40 PM
JPeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JPeters Click here to Send JPeters a Private Message Find more posts by JPeters Add JPeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tboley
Living With The Law

Joyce, these interviews are rewarding to read. It's so great to hear respected and accomplished musicians talk about Chris not only of his ability, but of his depth, which we all hear in our own way.
I'd like to know if these interviews appear anywhere in particular, and apologize if I'm naively unaware of your work out in the real world and should know.
Tyler

Old Post 03-28-2008 10:36 PM
tboley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tboley Click here to Send tboley a Private Message Find more posts by tboley Add tboley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPeters
Dust Sister7

Hey, Tyler. I recently completed these interviews with Alejandro & Vernon and am in the process of submitting them to several publications to help promote the 4/26 CW celebration. Just doing my little part to spread the word. I can post a link to them, if available.

It's hard to describe in words (yeah, even for a writer) how it feels to hear other musicians explain the impact Chris had on their lives. I especially appreciate hearing their perspective on all his facets and complexities as a human being, an artist, a friend, an inspiration. Here are a few more comments from my (yet unreleased) interviews:

Jeff Lang: Chris Whitley was an artistic lighthouse in the world. You feel like there are certain people casting a light in the world. Chris was one of those.

JP: Tell me about the 2006 Chris Whitley tributes in Australia.

JL: They were wonderful nights. It was rewarding. We made this record together [“Dislocation Blues”] and it was always the plan that it would be released in Australia in 2006. I was celebrating the fact that it was made, but it was also a night to celebrate his life and his work. It was great to see how far and wide Chris was appreciated in Australia. It wasn’t hard to get a bunch of top-notch people to play Chris’ songs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Joe Phelps: There’s a gigantic sense of freedom…in his sound; there didn’t seem to be any barriers on what he was doing. Like John Coltrane, you weren’t hearing a person or an instrument: it was like straight from the soul out to the ears. It’s a beautiful thing and rare to come by. It’s a rare musician who gets to that level. It’s tricky…it’s not something you can practice. It’s a gift from somewhere or something. He meant what he was doing and he wasn’t fucking around. It was a serious thing and an important thing. I was inspired by that.

Old Post 03-29-2008 06:55 PM
JPeters
Dust Sister7

3 weeks away

It's been eerily quiet on the dust forums. Where is everyone? I hope many of you are making your plans to join the 4/26 celebration in Bellows Falls. Even if you can't make it, please help spread the word to others who may not access the dust forums.

So, who is coming to be a part of this special weekend celebration? It is one way to show your appreciation and support for the hours & hours of listening pleasure (an understatement!) Chris has given us. Of course, you can also buy his records -- for yourself and for others.

Old Post 04-04-2008 01:06 PM
Jane
Living With The Law

Hi Joyce

I will be there with my husband in tow, but we could only come for Saturday night. I was so hoping to be able to stay at a B&B, but they are only taking reservations for two nights minimum.
I still work on spreading the word and have two freinds who when they would stop over and Chris would be playing they really liked it. They asked about him and now I think they have purchased quite a bit of his music.

I look forward to seeing you along with EVERYONE else!

I did notice on the tickets that there is no cameras allowed, do you know anything about this? I'm taking mine in anyway.

See you soon,
Jane

Old Post 04-04-2008 02:57 PM
Jane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jane Click here to Send Jane a Private Message Find more posts by Jane Add Jane to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill Nelson
Living With The Law

I'm going and it looks like I'll have my better half with me. I think we'll be staying overnight on Saturday. Thanks for the interviews Joyce, good stuff. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Old Post 04-05-2008 12:53 PM
Bill Nelson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Nelson Click here to Send Bill Nelson a Private Message Find more posts by Bill Nelson Add Bill Nelson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phaidros
Living With The Law

Re: Ticket Info?

quote:
Originally posted by Jane
[

Hey Robert, Come on over from Germany, you can do it! You guys can stay at my house, no problem.

Love to you all,
Jane [/B]

Hello Jane,

you make my heart bleeding just more.
I cannot fly with my body over there,
but i will with my soul.

Greetings to all of this community.

Robert

Old Post 04-05-2008 03:40 PM
Phaidros is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phaidros Click here to Send Phaidros a Private Message Find more posts by Phaidros Add Phaidros to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jane
Living With The Law

Hi Robert

Your spirit is always with me. Email me soon, please.

Love ya,
Jane

Old Post 04-05-2008 03:43 PM
Jane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jane Click here to Send Jane a Private Message Find more posts by Jane Add Jane to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPeters
Dust Sister7

Hi there, Jane! It will be great to see you again. I emailed you about 3 weeks ago wondering if you'd be there. I'm waiting for an official response about photography but I imagine cameras will be allowed in the BF Opera House (but no flash).

Hey, Bill. I'm happy to know you, too, will be there again.

Sorry you'll both miss Friday's "video fest" but I look forward to seeing you all on Saturday. I still can't even believe the stellar lineup and impressive venue (new sound system, balcony, and red velvet drapes, I believe). It will be a memorable weekend, to be sure!

Old Post 04-06-2008 09:00 PM
Jane
Living With The Law

Hi Joyce

Seems your mail box is full. I didn't receive your email, I have a new address. jane-gallup@cox.net.

See ya soon,
Jane

Old Post 04-07-2008 03:51 PM