The Dust ForumsHere you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferencesRegistration is free!CalendarFind other membersFrequently Asked QuestionsSearchHome  
The Dust Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 The Dust Forums > Gear Talk > Gear!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Moltengold
Living With The Law

Gear!

Found this online whilst searching for Chris related stuff:

On his solo tour, following the release of Dirt Floor, Chris Whitley played five of the instruments used on that record:

a '31 National Style O, a '31 National Triolian, a '56 National Reso-Phonic with an old Danelectro pickup (used on the song "Indian Summer"), a '58 Gibson ES-125 (also used a lot on Terra Incognita), and a '95 Bart Reiter five-string banjo. On the album version of "Loco Girl," he played a '36 Gibson L-0. As you might gather from this list, Whitley prefers old instruments-"old stuff that's been played a lot," he says.

Whitley uses D'Addario strings on all his instruments-nickel-wound electric strings on everything but the Gibson L-0, which has a bronze-wound acoustic set. The gauges vary: the Triolian has stock extra-lights (.011 first string), the Style O and the L-0 have .013 first strings and .022 wound third strings, and the ES-125 has a .012 first string and a .021 third.

The Nationals are outfitted with Barcus-Berry magnetic Dobro pickups, which Whitley runs through a tube DI called the Juice Box and into a Fender Pro Junior amp. "This is different than playing totally acoustic," Whitley says. "I can be more dynamic. I can be quieter and louder. I use a DI and a mic on the amp so I can push it and it'll distort, and also be clean enough to articulate."

Whitley plies this arsenal of instruments with a purple Dunlop flatpick and metal fingerpicks on his ring and middle fingers. On his pinky he wears a slide he made from a piece of bicycle handlebar, which is cut so that he can rotate it out of the way for fretting.

Last but not least, in his solo show Whitley stomps out the beat on a boot board that's amplified with a Fishman upright bass transducer.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-28-2010 02:12 AM
Moltengold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Moltengold Click here to Send Moltengold a Private Message Find more posts by Moltengold Add Moltengold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hiroshi
Living With The Law

D'Addario

Thanks for the information.
I believe it once was provided via "the old "New Machine" website.

Did I ever post this image in the past ?... a scan from Acoustic Guitar magazine advertisement (Sept. 1998 issue No.69).
Sorry if doubled... but it's a too cool one, No?

It is said that the calendar of D'Addario strings had a Chris' image.

There was a big poster of Chris (by UlfTone / German Label) with the similar image.

Hiroshi

Hiroshi has attached this image:

Last edited by Hiroshi on 05-06-2010 at 05:25 AM

Old Post 05-06-2010 05:22 AM
Hiroshi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hiroshi Click here to Send Hiroshi a Private Message Visit Hiroshi's homepage! Find more posts by Hiroshi Add Hiroshi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jipes
Living With The Law

Beautiful picture Hiroshi !

Old Post 05-10-2010 09:41 AM
jipes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jipes Click here to Send jipes a Private Message Visit jipes's homepage! Find more posts by jipes Add jipes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
r_d
Living With The Law

...interesting bit of info re the '56 Reso-Phonic with old Danelectro pickup...I've always wondered if that Reso-Phonic/1133 had the pickup added 'after the fact' or if it was some kind of prototype or low production thing....apparently these 1133s were being produced by Valco as late as the early 60s with whatever parts were around leading to variations in tuners and other things....I was lucky to see Chris on the 'Dirt Floor' tour in March 1999.....remember the harsh sound he was getting from the ES....but maybe it was just the acoustics in the club.....at later shows he always seemed to have that little 'electrified' 1133....

Richard D.

r_d has attached this image:

Last edited by r_d on 06-07-2010 at 03:04 AM

Old Post 06-07-2010 02:54 AM
r_d is offline Click Here to See the Profile for r_d Click here to Send r_d a Private Message Find more posts by r_d Add r_d to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Konakidd
Dust Radio

I know that for devoted CW fans D'Addario strings are favored for their resonators.

There is a company making strings specifically for metal bodied resonators called NewTone, from the UK. I've been using them for a few years now and have been quite pleased. One of the main reasons aside from string longevity is that the string tension on the Newtones is a lot less than many of the popular brands and as a result you can use a thicker gauge string without causing undue tension on your resonator neck. Aside from .013 and .015 sets they also make a Newton gauge up to a .016/.059. As most reso fans know thicker strings = more mass = more volume. The nice thing too, is these strings are much more pliant due to the reduced tension.

Last edited by Konakidd on 12-24-2010 at 09:04 PM

Old Post 11-06-2010 10:08 PM
Konakidd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Konakidd Click here to Send Konakidd a Private Message Find more posts by Konakidd Add Konakidd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote