The Dust ForumsHere you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferencesRegistration is free!CalendarFind other membersFrequently Asked QuestionsSearchHome  
The Dust Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 The Dust Forums > Chris Whitley Tunings > Chris's Tuning's! Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dan Whitley
Hello, my name is.....

Lightbulb Chris's Tuning's!

I'll be putting up what I have on hand here and
will be updating form time to time. Also feel free
to post whatever you have

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-28-2002 07:36 AM
Dan Whitley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Whitley Click here to Send Dan Whitley a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Whitley Add Dan Whitley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan
Alien being

SCRAPYARD LULLEBY C# G# C# G# C# D# TRIOLIAN
INDIAN SUMMER E B E G# B E TRIOLIAN
ACCORDINGLY D# G# D# G# A# D# STYLE O
WILD COUNTRY D A D G A D STYLE O
BALLPEEN HAMMER F C F G# C BANJO
DAS MODEL (The Model) F C F G# C BANJO
FROM ONE ISLAND... C# G# C# F# G# C# STYLE O
ALTITUDE C# G# C# G# C# D# STYLE O
DIRT FLOOR C G C F G C STYLE O
LOCO GIRL C# G# C# F F# C# STYLE O
SERVE YOU C# G# C# F# G# C# STYLE O
FIREFIGHTER D A D A D E 125
HOME IS WHERE YOU GET ACROSS E B E G# B E TRIOLIAN
AS FLAT AS THE EARTH E A E A C# E 125
DAYS OF OBLIGATION E A E A C# E TRIOLIAN
AERIAL D G D F A C JR
LONG WAY E A E A C# E NAT
POWER DOWN E A D G B E 125
CLEAR BLUE D# G# D# G# C D# TV
I FORGET YOU C# F# C# F G# C# 125
PHONE CALL E A E A C# E NAT
STILLPOINT E A E G B BANJ
WEIGHTLESS E A E A B E 125
KNOW D A D A D E NAT
COOL WOODEN D A D A D E 125
LIVING W LAW D A D A D E 125
ON CUE D A D A D E TV
BIG SKY D G D G B D NAT
AUTOMATIC E A E A B E 125
FLAT AS THE E B E G# B E JR
ULTRAGLIDE E A E A C# E TV
IMMORTAL C G C G C D NAT
DUST RADIO E G# B E G# B 125
GASKET E A E A C# E NAT
POISON E A E G# B E NAT
OH GOSH E A E A C# E JR
BORDER TOWN E A D G B E TV
NARCOTIC D A E A C# E TV
WPL D A D A D E TV
CANDY E A E A C# E TV
CANT GET D A E A C# E TV
GOD THING E A D G B E BROWN
DIN E A E A C# E TV
MACHINE E A E G# B E NAT
LIBERATION E A E G# B E TV
BLUE SKY E A E A C# E TV
KICK THE STONES E A E A C # E
GUNS AND DOLLS D# A# D# A# D# F
COMPLEX SEX RITUAL E A E A C # E
DIE IN YOUR M D A E A D E
BLISS TO BREAK D# A# D# A# D# F
ALTITUDE D A D A D E
ONE LONG DAY E A E A B E
NEVER E B E G# B E BROWN

Old Post 03-24-2003 10:28 PM
Dan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Click here to Send Dan a Private Message Find more posts by Dan Add Dan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eskimo
Long Way Around

"Lotion" tuning

Never had the "Long Way Around" compilation because I didn't think I needed it but I recently bought it and the demo tunes (1, 6, 10) are worth the price just by themselves. Is there a tuning on this forum for "Lotion" and I'm just missing it ?

Chris is coming here on 9/30 and I'm gonna sit in the front cuz the sound was way bad at the back of the Magic Bag last time. I am curious also as to whether he'll play that new National - he did not last time. NRP should give him guitars weekly for all the free promotion he gives them. If you're playing an old National in public you're advertising for the new company as well...

Old Post 09-21-2004 01:31 PM
eskimo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eskimo Find more posts by eskimo Add eskimo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottq16
Dust Radio

can anyone tell me where to find chris whitley tablature? I found a site several months ago but now I can't find it. If you know of a good one, let me know

thanks,

[email]scottq16@charter.net

Old Post 11-12-2004 07:16 PM
scottq16 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scottq16 Click here to Send scottq16 a Private Message Find more posts by scottq16 Add scottq16 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric123
Dust Radio

Tunings & Tablature - Made from Dirt on War Crime Blues

Just got turned onto Chris at his appearance at the Old Folk School in Chicago, new world for my National! Actually went there to see Kelly Joe Phelps and what a pleasure to find Chris! I've been buying up the CDs and have been addicted to the first track on War Crime Blues, Made From Dirt. I checked the tunings Dan Whitley put up for us and didn't see that one, any help anyone? Also, would love to find tablature and see a posting requesting info - Ditto need for help!

Eric

Old Post 11-15-2004 12:04 AM
Eric123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric123 Click here to Send Eric123 a Private Message Find more posts by Eric123 Add Eric123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hiroshi
Living With The Law

Hello Eric,

Welcome to The Dust Forums!
Well, I'm a KJP fan too (just for a couple of years til now though).

I believe the tuning of "Made from Dirt" is : D G D G A D (6 to 1 string).
I posted tunings of other WCB songs in the orther threads...
The Dust Forums > Chris Whitley Tunings > HVH, WEED tuning

Anyway, Try look around "Chris Whitley Tunings" forum where you can find
more in my and our friends' posts.

Hiroshi

Old Post 11-15-2004 03:54 AM
Hiroshi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hiroshi Click here to Send Hiroshi a Private Message Visit Hiroshi's homepage! Find more posts by Hiroshi Add Hiroshi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jay
Living With The Law

hiroshi, you're amazing man...If you want to trade some KJP boots, e-mail me...I just got my computer running again (It usually breaks in the middle of a trade) but I'd love to trade...By the way, I'd like to have you take a look at my tab for Dirt Floor, as you seem to have a good ear for Chris's stuff you could probably fix it up pretty nice...

Old Post 11-15-2004 02:50 PM
jay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jay Click here to Send jay a Private Message Find more posts by jay Add jay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric123
Dust Radio

Chris tabs and KJP videos

Hello Hiroshi & Jay,

Thanks for the info and I've found a good grouping of tunings as indicated. Also to Jay's point, if you have some tab of Chris' that you can share, these would be great to take a look at.

Regarding Kelly Joe, I have both of his DVD's that are on Homespun and they are as entertaining as instructional. One is fingerstyle and the other is lapstyle, which I've messed around with and set up an old guiter with the nut extension, cool sounds come from this.

Look forward to participating in the forum and building some more great tunes with y'all.

Eric

Old Post 11-17-2004 02:20 PM
Eric123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric123 Click here to Send Eric123 a Private Message Find more posts by Eric123 Add Eric123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guitarnowski
Dust Radio

Well, I know it's been 5 months, but Eric, if you're out there...I just live an hour north of you...give me a shout or something... (PM or email). I play in the bars around here (LaSalle-Peru area).

We're always looking for folks to jam with or exchange friendly venue names with!

<edit> "networking" is the word I was looking for... </edit>

peace, dave

Old Post 04-15-2005 04:50 AM
guitarnowski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guitarnowski Click here to Send guitarnowski a Private Message Find more posts by guitarnowski Add guitarnowski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david mix
Dust Radio

tunings

This News regarding Chris's passing has really affected me. I never went to a show or saw anything live. This news has taken me on a journey to connect, almost like desperately trying to know somthing that slipped through my grasp unknowingly. Never quite felt the same about anyone I never knew their eyes.
My love and prayer for those of the family, especially for the strength to endure and keep life's flame going...
Thankyou for what you share Dan.

Old Post 12-04-2005 07:19 AM
david mix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david mix Click here to Send david mix a Private Message Find more posts by david mix Add david mix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trentm
Dust Radio

david, my feelings exactly.

Being an aussie, i only heard of Chris in his closing days through the Jeff Lang website.

I've never heard such raw emotion spill from a musician -- he has inspired me.

Old Post 12-05-2005 04:53 AM
trentm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trentm Click here to Send trentm a Private Message Find more posts by trentm Add trentm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lunaticktrucker
Dust Radio

Question Learning more about Chris!

I first heard Chris Whitley last week (Thursday, December 1, 2005) on a AAA station out of Columus, Ohio. I caught the middle of a song and enjoyed the lyrics and melody. After the song, the DJ stated the artisit was Chris (if I may be informal and call him just Chris...I do not mean to offend anyone) and that in memory of him, the DJ would play a hit from Living With The Law. The song was "Big Sky Country!" I was hooked from the first beat! I got back to my truck, logged onto Rhapsody to see if they would have any Chris Whitley and they do. I have downloaded "Big Sky Country" and "Look What Love Has Done." Since last week, I have done nothing but research Chris Whitley every free moment. It's weird but just one song has touched me and I have every intention to try and purchase the music he has made. I have even called my wife and asked her to listen to it. I called my mom and asked her to listen as well. I wish I could hear him and his music on the Sirius Satellite (it's what I have in the big truck). Most of all, I have grown attached to "Big Sky Country" that I would love to know the lyrics, but have been unsuccessful in finding them. Does any one know where I can get them? My prayers go out to the family and friends of Chris. It saddens me that I found out about what I call a legend a little too late. But I am sure I can get to know his Spirit through his words.

Old Post 12-07-2005 04:04 AM
lunaticktrucker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lunaticktrucker Click here to Send lunaticktrucker a Private Message Visit lunaticktrucker's homepage! Find more posts by lunaticktrucker Add lunaticktrucker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonnyangel
Living With The Law

Big Sky Country lyrics

Big Sky Country

When this is over, over and through
And all them changes have come and passed
I want to meet you in the big sky country
Just want to prove mama, love can last

Like hallelujah in the big sky country
Just like forever and ever is why
Be getting over in the big sky country
Be kissing time, kissing time goodbye

God knows it's all been done
Let me tell you why
'Cause you held my number, you held my name
You held my body through the thick and thin
On a bed of roses in the big sky country
Spread out to love you, love you in your second skin

Hallelujah mama, razzle dazzle mama
Probably got lights on all over the place
Hallelujah, I mean glory hallelujah
If I could only come 'round once and see your face
So just watch them lovers out on parade
You watch them lovers while they slip and slide
They gonna prove it to the big sky country
Just gonna prove it while the whole world collides

-Albert Einstein

Old Post 12-07-2005 06:44 PM
jonnyangel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonnyangel Click here to Send jonnyangel a Private Message Visit jonnyangel's homepage! Find more posts by jonnyangel Add jonnyangel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ashes2dust
Living With The Law

Dan...

A big thanks for the tunings...

I enjoys playing Chris's stuff and this is a great aid...

Here's to keeping your brothers music alive and well...

peace and faith in all things...

ashes2dust

Old Post 01-10-2006 11:37 AM
ashes2dust is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ashes2dust Click here to Send ashes2dust a Private Message Find more posts by ashes2dust Add ashes2dust to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pluto
Dust Radio

Hi Y'all,
I'm new here, but I've been a fan of Chris for many years. He inspired me to seek out many alternate tunings. My favorite has probably been DADGBD. Not one he used that I can see.

Big thanks to Dan for providing these forums, and for the tunings he has provided.

Dan's tuning info from above inspired me to wonder how many tunings Chris actually regularly employed, and how they varied. There seemed to be some tunings that repeated themselves, if repeated in different keys.

So like the nerd that I am, I took the info he provided and put it into excel. I qualified them as classes of tunings. ie, interval relationships. DADGAD = CGCFGC Transposed.

This is what I've found out so far. The names of the tunings aren't formalized. Joni Mitchell's tuning naming system might come in handy. (see below) I haven't gotten there yet.

Hopefullly you'll be able to see this image:

I have a few questions for Dan regarding these tunings.

1)
Loco Girl is listed as C# G# C# F F# C#.
That seems like it must be a typo. Is it?
F and F#?
Is that F supposed to be an F#?
Two F# 's
Or is it supposed to be F# G#?

2)
I forget You Every Day is listed as C# F# C# F G# C#.
That too seems like it must be a typo. Is it?
Is that F supposed to be an F#?

I look forward to hearing back from Dan, and from any others of you that have ascertained tunings to various songs not included in the list above.

Sometime in the future I hope to compare Chris' tuning use to that of Joni Mitchell. For those of you unaware, Joni also used a lot of open tunings. There is a lot of great info at these pages about her tunings:

http://jmdl.com/howard/music/joni_notation.html
http://jmdl.com/howard/music/tabfiles.html#joni
http://jmdl.com/howard/music/tiger_tunings.html

Old Post 04-18-2008 04:38 AM
pluto is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pluto Click here to Send pluto a Private Message Visit pluto's homepage! Find more posts by pluto Add pluto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote