The Dust ForumsHere you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferencesRegistration is free!CalendarFind other membersFrequently Asked QuestionsSearchHome  
The Dust Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9 The Dust Forums > Gear Talk > HELP ME BUY A BUDGET RESONATOR,
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dobro
Living With The Law

HELP ME BUY A BUDGET RESONATOR,

DUST BROTHERS AND SISTERS can you help me with your knowledge, "someone must be able too"
ITS A BIG MARKET BUT I WANT TO BUY A RESONATOR GUITAR.
I AM ON A LIMITED BUDGET.
IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE FOR ME TO SPEND OUT ON A NATIONAL OR A SPECIAL INSTRUMENT AS MUCH "AS I WOULD LOVE TOO".
I WANT VALUE FOR MONEY ON EITHER A WOOD BODIED OR STEEL BODIED DESIGN.
I PLAY SLIDE GUITAR BUT NOT ON MY LAP SO IT MUST BE ROUNDNECK.
I HAVE CONSIDERED THE REGAL DUOLIAN a metal bodied guitar which is at the top of my budget.
Or Vintage - AMG1 METAL BODIED also budget limit
ANY ADVICE ON THESE?
I have also looked at the Vintage VRC700N wood bodied electro acoustic resonator
and the Regal RD45 and Epiphone Biscuit resonators.
HAS ANYONE GOT OR PLAYED THESE GUITARS?
I want to get the best i can
I HAVE READ AND HEARD THE FENDER RESONATORS ARE NOT GOOD, IS THIS TRUE???
CAN ANYONE OFFER SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO SPEND MY MONEY ON????????????????
Resonators are more expensive here in the UK
THANK YOU GUITAR PLAYERS

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-06-2006 12:28 AM
dobro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dobro Click here to Send dobro a Private Message Find more posts by dobro Add dobro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNO
Dust Radio

I've owned several...by FAR the best is the Rogue Triolian from Musician's Friend. It has a great Continental cone in it, no upgrade necessary. You will need to do a setup but the tone is there and it's loud.
$199 with free shipping.

Old Post 02-06-2006 02:04 AM
TNO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNO Click here to Send TNO a Private Message Find more posts by TNO Add TNO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sixstringsunder
Living With The Law

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Regal/

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Rogue/

etc...makes for lots of interesting reading.

Old Post 02-06-2006 03:22 AM
sixstringsunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sixstringsunder Click here to Send sixstringsunder a Private Message Find more posts by sixstringsunder Add sixstringsunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dobro
Living With The Law

THANK YOU SIX STRINGS UNDER FOR YOUR ADVICE AND LINK

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU SIXSTRINGSUNDER FOR YOU HELP IN FINDING ME A GUITAR,
I HAVE JUST ORDERED A Rogue Classic Brass Body Resonator Made with an all-European bell-brass body. The 9-1/2" hand-spun aluminum cone and hard maple bridge give it huge tone....
IT SOUNDS GOOD....for $249.99
I ordered the guitar using your link to the Musicians friend web site and it should be on its way to me in the UK as we speak, i cant wait to get it...
the closest thing here in the UK that comes close is the
Regal RC-1 Polychrome Duolian that sells for 399.00 thats about $775.00 and i couldnt find anyone selling Rogue guitars
its worked out cheaper for me to import the Rogue to the UK

The customer reviews on the link you sent me (sixstringsunder)were the thing that helped me most of all as i had not found this imformation anywhere else on the net through my internet searches,
hearing what people say is whats needed before commiting to buy something you may not like or may not be any good, there are a lot of bad guitars being made out there.

i am sure am glad of this forum and the good people on it for helping me make the right choice...
I will let you know what i think of the guitar when it shows up.
thank you

Old Post 02-08-2006 12:36 AM
dobro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dobro Click here to Send dobro a Private Message Find more posts by dobro Add dobro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
acoustimouth
Dust Radio

dobros

well-- it's allreally relative- willyou be using finger picks? nails?, fingers? plectrum? amplification? alot of slide and lap or not?

i played the fender hybrid recently off the rack in a music store- i imagine that someone accustomed to a duolian full metal and alot of slide would not like it ---
it tuned to open E, D, G, A and bastardizations of these fairly easily with acceptable intonation to the 12th fret for an instrument that was under 300 US dollars--- not very good for slide period ( well, you MAY get away with light glass or bird of paradise and a light touch if need be) due to low action that inversely made it great for singer-songwriter fare and finger style blues. acceptable but not incredible projection using fingers---I liked the overall vibe of this guitar for the money during the approx 1/2 hour I goofed around with it.
I bought a National hybrid new in the early 90's for around 300--- it is great for slide and most styles/picking approaches except lap (well, I suck at lap so not really qualified there...)--- I use a combo of mike to the board and slapped a barcus berry just below the neck/body joint to an EQ to DI (or sometimes to a fender delux miked and forego the ambient mike...)and it is great but, again,, the projection/tone of a hybrid is just plain different from a metal guitar...

my advice is you are compromised due to price so don't set your hopes out of reach-- try a bunch of the hybrids available under 500 dollars by fender, national, dobro, and that damned korean company i can never remember the name of and go with what feels right to you--- get something better down the road if need be--- use alot of tunings when trying it out and this will rule out some axes immediately-
also-- these lower priced hybrids are not very amenable to customizations so don't think you can get one and then make it better by changing the nut /action or other stuff-- essentially what you see/hear is what you get other than adding a pickup

if you absolutely need some of the nastier tones/picking approaches and must employ a "dig-in" finger/slide style- save up and get a decent metal guitar...
good luck!
A.

Old Post 02-17-2006 02:31 AM
acoustimouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for acoustimouth Visit acoustimouth's homepage! Find more posts by acoustimouth Add acoustimouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jinder
Dust Radio

I play an Ozark thinline bell-brass bodied reso that I bought from a friend of mine a while back-it has a Dano-style lipstick electric pickup which sounds suitably nasty through a pushed amp, and it's acceptable enough unplugged but it's quite rubbery in the mids-I might look into upgrading the cone as it's an otherwise nice guitar...I need to get a dedicated acoustic pickup for it too so I can wail on it live, it's been a home player for most of the time I've had it, despite the fact I've been gigging 4/5 times a week, and it feels kinda wasteful not to get it shipshape and use it.

Old Post 03-19-2006 11:36 PM
Jinder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jinder Click here to Send Jinder a Private Message Visit Jinder's homepage! Find more posts by Jinder Add Jinder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noah
Dust Radio

How do you like the Rogue?

Hi there-

I'm looking to buy a resonator guitar for my dad for his 50th birthday. Of course, I'd love to get him a National, but I just can't afford it. I came across the brass-bodied Rogue too and have been trying to compare it to the Johnson JM-998 and Regal RC-2. At this point, I think I'm leaning toward the Rogue. I have also read the reviews on harmony-central, which helped greatly.

Since you're a recent buyer of the Rogue, I'd love to know what you think of it.

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Noah

Old Post 03-20-2006 10:12 PM
Noah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noah Click here to Send Noah a Private Message Find more posts by Noah Add Noah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dobro
Living With The Law

The Rogue Resonator

I am no expert with Resonators and dont have any other resonators to compare with, but the Rogue is a well made guitar that has a beautiful full bodied tone, I am so happy with it.
My only problem is its too loud for me too play when my daughter goes to bed, I have to now go out to play at night.
The Rogue is a real dig in a play it type guitar and you will be rewarded with the sounds that come out of the cone...
it seens to work well in all the tunings i have tried and if thats not enough it looks fantastic, one review i read from anouther buyer made me laugh and it was,
quote:" The only drawback is, don't take it on a gig until you are really ready to play something impressive, because this guitar is an attention grabber." its true, the picture does it no justice.....
go on this link to MUSICIANS FRIEND that i got from sixstringsunder I hope it will help you as it helped me.
I purchased through them at a good price,$279.99 for the Rogue link:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...=519192/rpp=10/
also if you want to export a resonator the Rogue is one of the only brand names that Musicians friend are allowed to export.
GOOD LUCK, and what a great present........

Old Post 03-21-2006 01:01 AM
trip143
Long Way Around

Same Guitar

Hey Dobro, I have the same Rogue guitar that you have, and I love mine as well. I had always been an electric player, but when I got mine, I knew I had missed my calling. In fact, I hardly ever get around to my Strats anymore. Trying to figure out how to put a pickup on that thing. That would be wayyy cool. Later, DT

Old Post 08-24-2007 12:00 AM
trip143 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trip143 Click here to Send trip143 a Private Message Find more posts by trip143 Add trip143 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chad
Living With The Law

If you're interested in amplifying your steel bodied reso, here's a pickup similar to what Chris used, I believe.

At least it's the same company:

Barcus Berry

For wood-bodied, I've installed p/ups in a hole cut in the classic "neck" position; it's always a good idea to remove the cone before (and during) installation. Check for any random bracing (which I've never seen) or pieces of unnecessary wood (which I have).

Also, pay careful attention to the orientation of the cone/bridge assembly. Put everything back just how it came out, and remove the parts slowly.

It's real easy to dent/ding a cone. I won't even mention the other possible pitfalls....

More resonator p/ups:

Lace Sensor

Highlander

I currently have a Fishman Active Resonator P/Up in my wood bodied, spider-bridge dobro. Very bright, very clean, more of a "modern-bluegrass" type sound.

I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's a long-term loaner from a friend, so hey - what the hell!

ANyway, enjoy, and good luck.

And get an old school tube screamer....

....or two.....

-chad

- Salman Rushdie

Old Post 08-25-2007 12:58 AM
chad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chad Click here to Send chad a Private Message Find more posts by chad Add chad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
calgary333
Long Way Around

buget resonator

3 or 4 yrs. ago jay turser guitars went bankrupt, they had alot of guitars in 3 or 4 warehouses in different parts of the country. i had to wait a little while but i got an electric resonator from them for dirt cheap. i don't know what's happened to the cheap guitars but maybe you can find some around.

Old Post 02-24-2009 08:37 AM
calgary333 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for calgary333 Click here to Send calgary333 a Private Message Find more posts by calgary333 Add calgary333 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote